COVID-19: Court Closures & Legal Info in Houston, TXPublished: Mar 19, 2020 in COVID-19
COVID-19 has impacted the lives of many in and around Houston as well as people around the world. As the situation continues to evolve, The Law Offices of Ned Barnett wants to reassure our clients and the Harris County community that we are taking this situation seriously, and putting safety measures in place that prioritize the health and well-being of our clients and staff. We also want to ensure you get the answers and consummate legal guidance you expect.
As a firm, we are carefully monitoring and adhering to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Texas Department of State Health Services, other government agency guidance, and staying abreast of any changes or updates.
Attorney Ned Barnett and our staff have been advised on the practical measures to help stem the tide of COVID-19, including regular hand washing, the use of hand sanitizer, frequently disinfecting commonly touched areas, and social distancing whenever possible. This involves using video and phone conferences and communicating via phone and e-mail to limit in-person interaction.
If you are an existing client and have a question about your case in light of the COVID 19 pandemic, please call (713) 222-6767 or contact us online. We are available and will be in touch as soon as possible.
We’re Available to You & Working
Our attorneys and staff are currently working to address your needs and questions.
We know how serious your situation is and the impact this is having across the region. We will work to ensure these unprecedented events do not unfairly impact your legal issue.
We’ll Keep You Informed
We are closely monitoring all client deadlines, court closures, and will continue to keep you updated.
If the situation continues to progress, we will explore all available options to provide you with the best possible representation. This may include using video depositions and testimony, e-document filing, and other tools should the need arise.
Texas Court Closures & Suspended Services
As courts across the country take measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, some are restricting access and altering their procedures. If you have legal proceedings scheduled in any of the following, reach out to attorney Barnett to discuss how the closure affects you:
- Southern District of Texas – All just trial suspended until April 1, 2020
- Eastern District of Texas – Attorneys and parties should communicate if proceeding could cause someone to interact with san individual exposed to coronavirus.
- Western District of Texas – Postponed all civil and criminal bench and jury trials scheduled to begin before May 1, 2020. Grand jury matters will proceed normally. Parties are encouraged to participate in non-sentencing proceedings by telephone or video.
- Texas Supreme Court – Courts to suspend proceedings or schedule them to avoid gatherings of large groups until at least April 1, including jury trials and large docket calls. Courts are encouraged to implement remote appearances by phone or video for all proceedings possible.
- Harris County District Court – Serving the Houston area, has suspended civil jury trials for the rest of March and suspended criminal jury trials through March 20, 2020.
You can view Governor Abbott’s disaster proclamation here.
Do Not Put Criminal Charges on Hold
If you are involved in an active criminal case, you should carefully monitor the court website and call your attorney to find out what is expected of you. Do not miss any hearings or other court-mandated requirements without confirmation from your lawyer.
You Can Always Reach Attorney Barnett
We take your rights very seriously. Your case and the dedicated service The Law Offices of Ned Barnett provides will not be interrupted despite this uniquely challenging time. We appreciate your patience and we will continue to bring you updates.
We are meeting with clients as needed over the phone and taking consultations for those seeking our services once everything is running normally.
Our lawyers and staff are available at (713) 222-6767.
We’re All In this Together
We hope that you and your families are safe. Thank you for your patience and flexibility. We truly appreciate your choice in deciding to work with an attorney who will stand by you and fight for you no matter what. We look forward to continuing to work together to resolve your current and future legal issues.