Houston Sex Crimes Lawyer
A sex crimes charge can be stressful and overwhelming, especially if it’s your first encounter with the criminal justice system. You may be worried about your future and what will happen to your family if you’re convicted.
Common Types of Texas Sex Crimes Charges
Attorney Ned Barnett is eminently qualified to handle a range of Texas sex crimes charges and ensure that you get a strong defense. Some of the common types of cases Barnett has successfully handled include:
- Sexual Assault — In Texas, sexual assault is a description for essentially any form of non-consensual sexual contact, including offenses typically thought of as rape or sexual battery. Sexual assault is a serious felony offense with harsh penalties if you’re convicted. Learn more about how sexual assault is prosecuted and punished in Texas.
- Indecent Exposure— Indecent exposure is the offense some may think of as “flashing” or “mooning,” although it also can include public urination or women going topless in public. The crime is defined as exposing your genitals or anus for the purpose of arousal or sexual gratification, and with reckless disregard for whether other people would be alarmed or offended. Learn more about indecent exposure and the possible consequences of a conviction.
- Public Lewdness — The offense of public lewdness essentially means engaging in indecent activity in public. Having sex in public where others can see, such as in a park, is the classic example of public lewdness. Learn more about public lewdness charges and penalties in Texas.
- Prostitution & Solicitation — A prostitution or solicitation charge can result in jail time, fines, and public embarrassment that could affect your family or career. Learn more about prostitution crimes in Texas and how a good Houston criminal defense lawyer can help protect your freedom and your future.
Important Information About Houston Sex Crimes Defense
A sex crimes charge can be stressful and overwhelming, especially if it’s your first encounter with the criminal justice system. You may be worried about your future and what will happen to your family if you’re convicted, and you probably have numerous questions about the process and what you should expect.
- Sex Offender Registration — Many sex offenses result in a requirement to register as a sex offender if you’re convicted. That means information about you and your conviction will be available to the public. Learn more about sex offender registration in Texas and how a Houston sex crimes lawyer can help.
- Defenses to Sex Crime Charges — If you’ve been charged with a sex crime, you may have several legal options for your defense. A good Houston sex crimes attorney can explain the defenses that may be available based on the circumstances of your case. Learn more about common defenses to Texas sex crimes.
- Consequences of a Texas Sex Crimes Conviction — A Texas sex crimes conviction can cause ripple effects that touch your life for years to come, or even for the rest of your life. Learn more about the consequences of a Texas sex crimes conviction and what a skilled defense lawyer can do to help you avoid or minimize the possible effects.
- Hiring Your Houston Sex Crimes Attorney — Because of what’s at stake when you’re charged with a sex crime in Texas, it’s important to have the right lawyer defending you and protecting your rights. Learn more about questions to ask and qualities to look for in your Houston sex crimes attorney.
Navigating the waters of sexual relationships can be extremely complicated, especially in an era in which nearly any comment, gesture, or overture can be misinterpreted or cause offense. It’s not uncommon for two people to be involved in sexual encounter or relationship and to have different feelings about it the next day. Unfortunately, miscommunication and disconnect when it comes to sexual intimacy can sometimes result in criminal charges and the need for a Houston sex crimes lawyer.
Sex crime cases often rely on conflicting testimony and evidence that is wide open for differing interpretations. A prosecutor may claim that the presence of a defendant’s DNA in a victim’s bedroom proves that a sexual assault occurred — but there may be other completely innocent explanations for the presence of that DNA. Two people involved in an encounter may remember events differently and tell different stories about what happened. Consensual sex between two adults is always legal.
Texas sex crimes charges are incredibly serious matters, especially if you’re charged with sexual assault. Even an arrest for a sex crime can result in a public stigma that harms your reputation, your career, and your family. A conviction can make you feel like your life has been permanently ruined.
If you’ve been charged with a sex crime — or even if you’re under investigation and haven’t been arrested yet — you shouldn’t hesitate to contact an experienced Houston sex crimes lawyer to learn your rights and discuss your options for a defense. A skilled lawyer can protect your rights through the investigation process and may help you avoid charges altogether, or craft a strong defense so that you can avoid or minimize the consequences of a conviction.
Some of the possible effects of a sex crimes conviction may include:
- A jail or prison sentence
- Expensive fines and court costs
- Requirement to register as a sex offender
- Limitations on where you can live and the kinds of jobs you can hold
- A permanent criminal record that can cost your career
- Possible loss of your custody or visitation rights for your children
- Changes to your immigration status, including loss of your visa or green card, denial of your citizenship application, and deportation to your native country
- Loss of a professional license to work as a lawyer, doctor, nurse, teacher, pharmacist, or other licensed professional
- Loss of your right to possess a gun
Contact an Experienced Houston Sex Crimes Lawyer
If you’ve been charged with a sex crime in Houston, the first attorney you call should be Ned Barnett. With more than 25 years of practical legal experience that includes more than two decades in criminal defense and several years as a state and federal prosecutor, Barnett knows how prosecutors think and can anticipate the case that a prosecutor will build against you. Additionally, he has been board certified as a criminal defense lawyer by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for more than 20 years.
Call the Law Offices of Ned Barnett today at to schedule a confidential consultation about your case and learn how a top Houston sex crimes lawyer can protect your rights and your freedom.
* Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters service, 2015-2016
** American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, part of American Institute of Legal Counsel, 2016, 2015
*** Board Certified Texas Board of Legal Specialization, since 1994