Call for a FREE consultation at (713) 222-6767

Legal Blog

What Should I Do If Someone Falsely Accused Me of a Sex Crime?

Published: Apr 26, 2017 in Sex Crimes

Many people are accused of crimes they did not commit. This is especially true when it comes to sex crimes. Divorces and child custody disagreements can bring about false accusations of sexual assault, child molestation, and other sex crimes. Even teachers, babysitters, and others who work with children may face accusations. If you’re in such a dire situation, you need a Houston sex crimes lawyer on your side.

At The Law Offices of Ned Barnett, we are here to protect your rights and are prepared to aggressively defend against any unfounded accusations. Call us today at (713) 222-6767 for a free consultation.

What to Do First

The first thing you should do is keep quiet. If the police question you, don’t say anything until you have spoken to a skilled criminal defense attorney with considerable experience handling sex crimes cases. Do not share anything about the accusations with anyone – not even friends or family.

Do not try to handle a claim like this alone, even if you know you’re 100 percent innocent. Call an attorney and give them the details of what happened. With the information you give your attorney, he or she can begin advising you and can protect you from saying anything incriminating, deal with the accuser, see if any criminal charges have been filed, and negotiate with all the parties involved.

The next step is to gather any evidence relating to the crime. Do you know the person accusing you? If so, what type of relationship do you have with him or her? If you are accused of a specific incident, gather any email, phone, or GPS records showing where you really were at the time of the alleged incident.

Possible Defenses

In many cases, simply stating your innocence will not be enough. You will need compelling and convincing evidence to back up your claim. Maybe you have never even met the accuser. Perhaps you were out of town. Your criminal defense attorney can go over all of this and even discuss the benefits of submitting to DNA testing to show that you were not near the accuser.

If you believed that you had consent to engage in sexual activity with your accuser, proving that you received consent can be a challenge. It’s easier to prove that the victim did not give consent, which would be true if the victim was a minor or incapacitated.

The prosecution has the burden of proving that you, without a reasonable doubt, committed the crime. If none of the accuser’s evidence can place you at the scene, then you will likely be found not guilty.

Get Legal Help

A sex crime conviction can affect your life forever. You will not only run the risk of being sent to prison, but you’ll probably have to register as a sex offender. You may lose your job and professional license as well as custody of your children. You could also be deported if you’re an immigrant.

Sex crimes are serious offenses that can ruin your family, reputation, and career. You need to protect everything you have with a strong defense. Maybe you were under the impression that you had consent or perhaps your the accuser is lying. It happens more often than you think.

In any case, you need aggressive legal representation on your side. Houston sex crimes lawyer Ned Barnett has 30 years of experience in the legal field. As a former prosecutor, he knows how to provide a powerful defense and protect your rights.

Contact The Law Offices of Ned Barnett at (713) 222-6767 for a free and confidential consultation.